Best Air Purifier For Birds
Whether you’re a seasoned bird pet owner, a dedicated avian enthusiast, or just someone looking to bring more life to your space, having the best air purifier for birds is essential.
With an air purifier, you can effectively eliminate all airborne contaminants like dust, pollen, and pet dander that pose a significant risk to your bird's health. It can also help alleviate symptoms of allergies and reduce unpleasant odors, leaving the air fresher and more comfortable to breathe.
An air purifier is an important part of maintaining a healthy and happy environment for your feathered friends. Due to their heightened sensitivity to air quality, selecting the appropriate air purifier for your avian companion is imperative.
With a plethora of alternatives available on the market, selecting the most optimal air purifier for birds can become a daunting task.
To help you make an informed decision, we’ve put together this comprehensive buying guide. It includes a list of essential features to look for, some of our top picks, and other insightful information that will help you make a bird-tastic choice. Read on!
Or jump right to the Best Air Purifiers for Bird Owners
What Is Bird Dander?
Don't let those adorable birdies fool you! Beneath their cute feathers, there’s a tiny, pesky culprit lurking- bird dander. Shed from their skin, saliva, and feathers, these irritating micro-particles float in the air and can cause a world of trouble for humans with allergies.
Composed of proteins, oils, waxes, fatty acids, and lipids, these invisible irritants leave no stone unturned as they wreak havoc on your respiratory system! Don't be surprised if you find yourself constantly sneezing, rubbing your itchy eyes, or trying to soothe an irritated throat. Stay vigilant and let those allergies fly south for the winter!
Bird dander can also trigger asthma attacks in people who are sensitive to it. Therefore, we highly recommend having the right air purifier to protect your birds and family from these potentially harmful particles.
What Causes Bird Dander and Dust?
There are several causes of bird dander and dust, including:
Grooming and Preening
Just like other animals, birds like to look their absolute best. They groom and preen themselves to keep their feathers clean and in good condition. Grooming is when a bird runs its beak through its feathers.
Preening involves releasing oils from the uropygial gland, keeping the feathers conditioned, and creating a protective layer against dirt and parasites. During grooming and preening, birds release dried skin cells (dander) as well as dust.
Molting is when birds replace their old feathers with new ones. This process typically happens twice a year in most bird species, during the spring and fall. During molting, many feathers are shed at once, resulting in an accumulation of dander and dust. Without proper ventilation or air filtration, this can quickly become overwhelming.
Aside from molting, birds also shed a small amount of feathers all year to help keep their feathers looking shiny and healthy. While this isn't as intense as molting, the process still produces dust and dander, which can quickly become an issue if not effectively controlled.
When birds fly, they flutter their wings to move and propel themselves forward. This generates a lot of dust, which can settle on the ground or furniture in your home. Bird feathers also contain small hooks that catch onto air particles, which can then be released into the air when the birds land, resulting in even more dust and dander.
Do All Birds Have Dander?
Yes, all birds produce dander as a natural part of their life cycle. However, the amount of dander produced can vary greatly depending on the species and individual bird. Some birds produce more than others, while others may not produce any noticeable amount at all.
What Bird Species Produce Less Dander?
From our experience, below are some of the bird species that produce less dander:
We consider budgies to be one of the best choices when it comes to bird species that produce less dander. Not only are they low maintenance, but their tiny size also reduces dander levels significantly.
Canaries are another great option for those looking for a pet bird with minimal dander production. They don't need much in terms of space or accessories (aside from a cage and perches), making them an ideal choice for small living spaces.
Finches also make the cut for low-dander options. Even though their energy levels reach higher screeching levels than those of other bird species, their small size and short wingspan make them easier to manage in terms of dander production. They require minimal grooming and can live quite comfortably in a small cage.
Though slightly more high maintenance than other bird species, lovebirds also don’t produce a lot of dander. They're small enough that their droppings don't take up much space, and their diet is relatively straightforward.
Parrotlets are the smallest parrot species, making them a great option for people with limited space. They produce less dander than other birds and require minimal maintenance to keep them healthy and chirping.
Conures have a lot of personality without being ‘extra’. Their small size means that their dander production is low, making them an ideal pet bird for sensitive souls with allergies.
Our tests found that this species was non-dusty thanks to its smaller size and lack of down feathers. They're also relatively low maintenance and require minimal grooming.
It’s worth noting that these species aren’t completely hypoallergenic. They still produce a certain level of dander and may cause an allergic reaction in some people. You'll still need the best air purifier for birds to improve your home's air quality.
What Problems Are Caused By Bird Dander And Dust?
Bird dander and dust can cause an array of problems, including:
Clogged Air Passages
When airborne bird particles accumulate in the air, they can clog up tiny air passages like those found in the nasal cavity or lungs. This can cause breathing difficulties, coughing, and sneezing fits, as well as more severe conditions like asthma attacks, impairing one's ability to breathe.
Bird Fancier's Lung
Exposure to bird dander and dust are irritants that can cause inflammation and inflammation-related respiratory health issues like Bird Fancier’s Lung in bird owners over long periods of time. This condition has a range of symptoms, including fatigue, fever, coughing, and shortness of breath. Additional signs may include chills, weight loss, and other related indicators.
Asthma And Allergy Triggers
One of the greatest risks of bird dander and dust is provoking allergies and asthma. Wheezing, chest tightness, and breathing difficulties are symptoms of asthma, which is characterized by inflamed and narrowed airways.
Meanwhile, allergies unleash an exaggerated immune reaction, resulting in symptoms like nasal congestion, sneezing, and itchy eyes.
What to Look For In An Air Purifier
Don’t fly by the seat of your pants anymore and consider the following factors when shopping for the best air purifier:
The last thing you want is an air purifier that doesn't have the power to clean your bird’s environment. Make sure you get a purifier with enough strength and speed to clean the air of any dust, debris, pollen, or other potential allergens that could harm your bird.
Go for an air purifier with a high Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR). CADR is the unit used to measure the effectiveness of an air cleaning device. The greater the figure, the higher the number of air particles and odors that get removed within a specific time period.
Durability is an important factor when searching for the best air purifier for birds. Different varieties of bird species have different needs and requirements for their environment, so it’s essential to make sure that the air purifier you choose can stand up to those demands.
Explore the materials used in constructing the air purifier and check if any components require regular replacement. The best materials include stainless steel and aluminum. These materials are more resistant to damage and wear over time.
It's advisable to check for warranties or guarantees accompanying your air purifier purchase, ensuring long-lasting performance.
Also check to make sure the construction and design of the air purifier are well-thought out. Poorly designed models can create gaps in which contaminants can seep through, leading to a decrease in air quality. This is also something you shouldn't forget when looking for the best air purifier for cats with asthma.
Filtration And Design
When looking for the best air purifier for birds or even an air purifier to help with pet allergies, consider filtration levels and design to keep your birds' home comfortable and free of allergens. With all-metal housing and adjustable fan speeds on the motor, you can easily adapt the filtration levels to suit the unique temperature needs of your beloved bird without compromising on indoor air quality.
As for design, ensure that whatever air purifier you choose has a wide filter coverage area. This will ensure that your birds get enough clean air and are not breathing in any unwanted pollutants or irritants.
To ensure a healthy environment with minimal maintenance, choose an air purifier with filters that are easy to clean to ensure your birds are getting the best possible air quality all day long.
Finally, consider an air purifier with a compact size that won't take up space the size of an ostrich in your home. This will make it easy to move from room to room and ensure that the air quality is top-notch no matter where your feathered friends are perched.
There's no point in investing in an air purifier if its sound levels are too high. Each bird species has a different hearing sensitivity, so it's important to find a model that won't disturb them.
Air purifiers with low fan speeds can reduce the noise level significantly. Go for models that come with sound-canceling technology or quiet operation settings so you don't have to worry about disturbing your feathered friends. Additionally, ensure the air purifier you choose is designed with a noise-dampening chamber to reduce vibrations and fan noise.
Noise isn’t just a concern for your feathered friends; it can also distract you. Therefore, even when buying the best air purifier for guinea pigs or searching for an air purifier for the litter box room, it's best to go for models with low noise levels.
To ensure that the air purifier is suitable for your bird, you can also check the sound level (in decibels) that the manufacturer has indicated on their website or in the product description. This will help you make sure that the model you purchase won't be screeching loud for you and your pets.
Best Air Purifiers For Bird Owners
EnviroKlenz Mobile Air System
The EnviroKlenz Mobile Air System is a top-rated air purifier designed to keep your home safe and free of airborne pollutants, making it the perfect choice for bird owners. This system is designed to remove a wide range of airborne pollutants, including pet dander, smoke, dust mites, mold spores, viruses, bacteria, and other allergens. It also helps reduce odors from pet cages or litter boxes.
Some of its main features include:
- EnviroKlenz Air Cartridge: This traps pollutants and allergens from the air, so your bird can breathe easier. It eliminates odors, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), viruses, bacteria, and other harmful particles.
- True HEPA Filter: This high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter helps reduce the risk of allergens in the air. It captures up to 99.97% of particles that are 0.3 microns or larger, including pet dander, smoke, dust mites, mold spores, and pollen.
- Four-Speed Blower: This circulates the air in your home and ensures that it is cleaned efficiently and quietly. It also has a timer, so you can easily set it to run while you’re away or sleeping.
- Earth Mineral Technology: This absorbs dust particles and traps them on the filter, as well as breaks down pollutants that are too small for other filters to capture.
This eco-friendly air purifier is an excellent choice for bird owners. It comes with a 5-year mechanical warranty, covers up to 1000 square feet, and is safe for both humans and birds.
Airpura V700 Air Purifier
The Pura Air Purifier V700 series is a powerful air purifier for birds. It is one of the best air purifiers for pet smells. It’s also one of the best air purifier for pets and dust as well as the most renowned air purifiers for pet hair. It can easily remove airborne particles like pollen, dust mites, pet dander, mold spores, and other harmful particles to keep your bird's environment squeaky clean.
This device purifies up to 2,000 square feet with 360° air distribution, making it ideal for larger rooms. Furthermore, this air purifier utilizes a multiple-stage filtration system to provide the cleanest air possible. This includes:
- Pre-Filter: This is the first line of defense against airborne toxins and pollutants in your home. It traps large particles like feathers to prevent them from entering the air purifier, protecting the fan and other components from damage. Additionally, the pre-filters reduce dust and odors in bird habitats, making the air cleaner for your avian companion.
- HEPA Filter: This medical-grade HEPA filter captures 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns in size, effectively trapping bird dander and dust. It provides the option to upgrade to a Super HEPA Filter (V714) for even greater removal of allergens, dust, and other airborne contaminants.
- Activated Carbon Filter: This Activated Carbon filter keeps your environment smelling fresh by absorbing odors and gases from the air. Additionally, it captures volatile organic compounds often present in bird habitats, such as feces, feathers, food particles, and soiled bedding.
The Airpura V700 Air Purifier is no ordinary air cleaner! It eliminates harmful particles, along with other standout benefits that make it soar above the crowd. Some of these features include:
- Backward Curved Motorized Impeller: This provides greater airflow and ensures that the air is evenly distributed throughout the room.
- Unimpeded Airflow: The open-back design ensures that the airflow is unimpeded.
- Variable Speed Motor: The motor speed, airflow, and cleaning power are all adjustable, depending on your needs.
- PCB-Free Capacitors: This helps reduce maintenance and keeps your air purifier running smoothly and efficiently.
- All-Metal Housing: The air purifier is constructed with an all-metal housing for enhanced durability. The perforated steel exterior prevents the motor from overheating.
Airpura H600 Air Purifier Allergy and Asthma Relief
The Airpura Air Purifier H600 series is another one of the best air purifiers for birds. It’s a powerful unit, especially designed for allergy and asthma relief, that can help your bird breathe easier and healthier. It also removes pet dander, dust mites, mold spores, and other airborne allergens.
This purifier features several filtration stages, including pre-filtration, Hi-C Carbon Filtration, and HEPA Filtration. The pre-filtration traps larger particles and debris before they reach the filter, while the Hi-C Carbon Filtration is effective for capturing VOCs, smoke, odors, gases, and chemicals. The HEPA filtration removes particles as small as 0.3 microns in size.
Covering an area of up to 2,000 square feet, this unit is great for large-sized homes. It provides the cleanest air possible through its multi-stage filtration process. This makes it ideal for allergic and asthmatic individuals and those looking for the best air purifier to maintain a healthy environment for their birds.
Some of its key features include:
- Variable Speed Motor: The variable speed motor improves air circulation and filtration efficiency.
- Unimpeded Airflow: The unit's airflow isn’t obstructed, making it more efficient at filtering particles and gases from the air.
- Separately Changeable Filters: The unit's filters can be changed separately, allowing for maximum convenience.
- Zero Off-Gassing: The Airpura H600 is certified as a Green Product, meaning it doesn’t emit any harmful off-gassing.
- Lightweight, Motorized Impeller: The unit boasts a lightweight, motorized impeller to maximize airflow and filtration.
AllerAir AirMedic Pro 6 Plus Air Purifier
These smoke eaters for homes by AllerAir are lightweight units designed to filter out airborne contaminants from bird cages and other pet environments. They cover a maximum of 1690 square feet, making them ideal choices for medium homes with multiple bird cages.
Whether you’re removing pet dander, dust, pollen, odors, molds, and bacteria or want to keep your birds safe from airborne pollutants, the AirMedic Pro 6 Plus is a great choice. It's regarded as the best air purifier for pets thanks to its powerful three-stage filtration system, which includes:
- Carbon Pre-Filter: This removes large particles and odors from the air, such as pet dander, dust, and pollen.
- Super HEPA Filter: Unlike regular true HEPA filters, the Super HEPA Filter in the Pro 6 Plus captures 99.99% of ultra-fine particles down to 0.1 microns or larger.
- Activated Carbon Filter: The third stage of filtration includes an activated carbon filter, which eliminates volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as formaldehyde, benzene, and other chemicals.
- UV Light Upgrade Option: You have the option of adding an ultraviolet (UV) light upgrade, which can be used to destroy germs, viruses, and other pathogens in the air.
Apart from its three-stage filtration system, this air purifier comes with a wide range of attractive features, such as:
- All-Metal Housing: The all-metal housing is durable and provides extra protection against atmospheric pollutants.
- Refillable Carbon Canisters: The unit comes with two refillable carbon canisters, which ensure that the activated carbon filter lasts longer.
- Ozone-Free Filtration Technology: This technology ensures that no ozone is generated or emitted from the unit, making it safe to use around birds and other pets.
- Styrofoam Free: The unit is manufactured without the use of styrofoam, which helps reduce plastic waste and its impact on the environment.
Austin Air HealthMate Air Purifier
The HealthMate by Austin Air is ideal for bird owners looking for the best air purifier for birds that eliminates airborne particles, bird dander, dust, and odors. This air purifier is designed with your bird’s needs in mind, using a combination of four-stage filtration to clean the air and remove any contaminants.
- Large Particle Pre-Filter: This removes large particles, such as pet dander and dust, from the air.
- Medium Particle Pre-Filter: This traps smaller particles, such as hair, pollen, and dust mites.
- Activated Carbon Filter: This absorbs chemicals, gases, and odors from the air.
- Activated Carbon and Zeolite: The activated carbon and zeolite filters remove gases, odors, chemicals, and VOCs. They also trap and reduce airborne allergens.
- True Medical Grade HEPA: The true medical grade HEPA filter is the last line of defense. This removes 95-99.97% of airborne particles up to 0.1 microns to 0.3 microns in size.
Several studies have shown why this purifier may be the best for bird owners. A study by the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center showed that it may help kids with Asthma. Another one by Johns Hopkins University showed that this purifier could alleviate symptoms of COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), like shortness of breath, chest tightness, and coughing.
Our independent tests with this product also show that it is extremely effective at removing airborne particles. In a controlled environment, we found that this air purifier was able to eliminate 99.97% of all airborne particles. This also makes it an excellent choice for cat owners who need the best air purifier for cat litter smells.
Some of the key features that make this purifier outstanding include:
- 360° Perforated Steel Intake Housing: This feature captures air from all angles, ensuring maximum efficiency. It also enhances the purifier's ability to capture harmful particles.
- Quiet Operation: This air purifier operates quietly and can be used in any room of your home without disturbing you or your birds.
- Baked Powder Coat Paint Finish: This paint finish helps to protect the purifier from corrosion, ensuring its longevity.
- 3-Speed Centrifugal Fan: The 3-speed fan ensures optimal performance, helping the air purifier quickly remove airborne particles and pollutants.
- High-Efficiency Motor: The motor on this purifier is designed to be energy-efficient, thus reducing your electricity bills.
Finding the best air purifier for birds can be a clawing affair, but this comprehensive buying guide has armed you with the right information, helping you easily choose the best product for your needs.
At Wellness Junction, our air purifiers have superior features, functions, and benefits that make them ideal for keeping your feathered friends healthy and safe.
No need to ruffle your feathers anymore over toxic pollutants in the air. Our air purifiers are a worthwhile investment that provide clean, healthy air for your feathered friends and you, the designated caregiver.
Let us help you find the best type of air purifier for your home that is well suited to the size of your space and will keep your bird tweeting happily all day long.