Recommend this page to a Friend
The new year always brings a time for renewed efforts in healthier living. Start this year on a healthy note by following 10 preventive medicine tips, created by Dr. Mark Hyman and Dr. Mark Liponis, medical directors for Canyon Ranch in the Berkshires Health Resort.
"Let's be realistic," Hyman said. "We don't expect that everyone will start to exercise daily, eat only health food and give up all their bad habits overnight. But there are some very simple steps that we can take without much pain, sweat or suffering. We don't have to feel deprived, depraved or depressed to make a major improvement in our health and help to prevent a host of health problems."
1. DO take extra folic acid daily.
2. DO add extra fiber to your diet — ground flaxseeds and/or psyllium seeds are good choices.
3. DO include strength training two to three times weekly.
4. DO reduce inflammation through diet, herbs and medications.
5. DO regular preventive dental and periodontal care and maintenance.
6. DO reduce the amount of sugar and refined carbohydrates in your diet.
7. DON'T eat an excess of mercury-contaminated fish in your diet.
8. DON'T overeat late at night.
9. DON'T eat too quickly — chewing is the most often neglected phase of digestion.
10. DON'T overuse antacids on a regular basis.
For more information about these tips, go to www.canyonranch.com/ranchnews/whatsnew.asp.